Sunday, November 25, 2012

I Think Micah P Hinson Might be a Jerk

I don't know Micah P Hinson, so I'm not in a real position to say. Does anybody know him? What's he like? Cuz I think he might be a jerk. I base this on 80 minutes of watching him onstage, so it's like those psychiatrists or plastic surgeons who Yahoo quotes to give their opinion on the latest celebrity snapshot. Trust no-one! But watching him interact with his audience and band awoke the nagging suspicion in my mind that he could very well be a jerk. A funny one, no doubt, but still the kind of guy you are not sure about hanging out with cuz his jokes feel like they're probably directed at you. Everything about him is in quotation marks: his words drip with irony when he speaks, and his look, from thick rimmed glasses to plaid shirt and tie, is an uber-hipsterfied portrait of an artist. His Pee-Wee-Herman-as-singer-singwriter persona is in direct contrast to some seemingly achingly personal music. I don't need my artists to come with Chris Martin levels of bland cuddliness. Hinson's caustic takedowns of people in the audience who bothered him were entertaining and on the nose: iPhones held aloft during a show are distracting, and if you feel like having a conversation, a spare folk concert is not not the proper venue. But his snide superiority glossed everything over with a distancing effect, and that bled over to the music. It's hard to believe the passion he evinces while singing when he consciously sweeps it aside with a back handed comment the moment he's done.
Sorry, dude

No comments:

Post a Comment